I am delighted to bring you talented quilt artist Sheena Robert of Green Man Quilts as an expert guest tutor for our Sew Short Course Quilting Workshops.
Sheena’s adventures in quilting came from the Laura Ashley patchwork packs of the 1970s and 80s feeding her passion for colour. Qualified with City & Guilds, Sheena has been influenced by the quilts exhibited at The American Museum, Bath and the V&A; and by many different quilters. Her inspiration comes from the natural world, folk traditions, story and music.
Sheena will be sharing her skills and enthusiasm with you exploring foundation piecing, working with different fabrics, hand and machine quilting, couching, surface embroidery and free machine quilting.
Take your work to the next step using simple design techniques to find your quilting ‘voice’ and style with unique individuality.
Whether you are new to sewing and quilting or your are a ‘curious’ quilter you are welcome to come and learn new skills and enjoy a weekend of quilting r&r.
Get that Quilt Finished – 16 & 17 September 2017
- Part 1 – Quilting our projects is often the most challenging part of making a quilt. During this day you will learn about setting up your machine for successful quilting using your walking foot, the effect of using different threads, different quilting designs including linear, concentric, radiating and spirals, and making use of the decorative stitches on your machine.
- Part 2 – Using a previously completed quilt top (or a piece of plain fabric – a “Wholecloth”), learn how to layer it up, quilt it and bind it. There will be an opportunity for a little excursion into FMQ, if you want to try. (You will need to be able to drop your feed dogs). You will receive help and support in choosing an appropriate quilting design and in binding your quilt. How to add a hanging sleeve will also be included.
Make it for Christmas – 11 & 12 November 2017
- Create a completely unique Advent Calendar – one that will be loved by its recipient long after the initial year. The use of non-traditional fabrics together with interesting trimmings will make for something really special. “”
- 4-Card Trick Table Runner –This can be made in traditional or contemporary Christmas fabrics or fabrics that reflect your home décor. It can be made to a length that fits your table by adjusting the number of blocks used. Make it as a purely decorative piece, or use thermal wadding so that it can protect your table from those hot dishes.
- Christmas Quilt Top – Go to town with Christmas fabrics to make a wonderful Random Rail Fence Quilt top. During this workshop, you will be able to complete the top and discuss ideas for borders and finishing.
Simple Stained Glass – 3 & 4 February 2018
- A simple technique creates stunning results. Create a wall hanging using scrap fabrics and fusible bias.
Log Cabin – 7 & 8 April 2018
- Make one or a few log cabin blocks and put them together for a fabulous wall hanging, table runner or centrepiece.
Click here to download more course information.
- Cost: £99 + materials
- Time: 10am-4pm
- Date: 16 & 17 September 2017 – Get that Quilt Finished
- Date: 11 & 12 November 2017 – Make it for Christmas
- Date: 3 & 4 February 2018 – Simple Stained Glass
- Date: 7 & 8 April 2018 – Log Cabin
- Venue: The Ropewalk, Barton-upon-Humber
- Call Jane on: 07946 648748 or 01482 840712
- Email Jane on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For card payment by phone please call Jane on 07946 648748/01482 840712
We also accept payment by Paypal
Specialist Courses terms and conditions:
- To secure a place on the course fees are payable in advance. Unpaid for bookings cannot be held.
- Sorry, fees paid are non-refundable.
- Jane White Couture Tuition reserves the right to cancel or change the date of courses.
- Sewing machines, overlockers and any other electrical equipment brought to the venue must have a current PAT certificate. Use is at the tutor’s discretion.
- Materials outside those included in the course fee will be charged for.
- The course information is an outline. The amount of work completed during the course will depend on your pre-existing skills and pace of work.
I can highly recommend this course, it’s great fun, Sheena Roberts is an excellent tutor – give it a go!